Monday, August 27, 2012

Let's Go To The Fair!

The State Fair in Minnesota is a big deal. So, to celebrate the end of the summer, we took a trip to the fair at storytime!

Books We Read :
Night at the Fair  by Donald Crews
I Know a Wee Piggy by Kimberly Norman
A Fabulous Fair Alphabet by Debra Frasier (Minnesota's own!)
Roller Coaster by Kevin O'Malley (sadly now out of print ...)

The thing to do at the State Fair (other than go on the rides, see the animals and play games) is eat. And everything you can get to eat comes on a stick. So I created this simple flannel to go with that theme :

     ON A STICK
     I went down to the Minnesota Fair
     The cows and the sheep and the pigs were there.
     But when food I did demand,
     We waited at a stand
     And got cotton candy on a stick to share!
     bacon
     a dill pickle
     a corn dog
     a caramel apple

4 comments:

  1. Great! I'm a state fair aficionada as well. I live in IL but attend the Iowa Fair. It's how I celebrate the end of summer reading. This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun idea! I have never done a Fair storytime but it sounds like you had fun with it. :o) And who doesn't love food on a stick? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if you tweak your rhyme just a little you could sing it to the tune of Animal Fair. Make the second line 'The cows, sheep, and pigs were there' and it works fairly well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the idea. We're doing a family storytime "What can you do with a stick" & food on a stick is perfect. Sandy W./Lincoln, NE

    ReplyDelete