Monday, July 15, 2013

Going Buggy!

My goodness ... summer sure makes it difficult to write blog posts! What with all the additional programs I'm hosting at the library, it's been over two months since I wrote a storytime post.

But ... without further ado, I present a Buggy Storytime!

Books We Read
"I Love Bugs!" by Emma Dodd
"Soup for One" by Ethan Long
"Waiting for Wings" by Lois Ehlert
"Buzz, buzz buzz! went Bumblebee" by Colin West

Naturally, we did the Buggy Pokey complete with antennae, stingers, wings and creepy crawlie feet.
I also sang "I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee" with the squished up bee being presented at the end (see? all clean!)
My favorite repeat-after-me chant was performed as well -- the Mosquito Chant (perfect for Minnesota) which goes something like this :
Flea ...
Flea fly ...
Flea fly flow ...
Mos-QUI-to!
Calamine, calamine, calamine lotion
Oh, no more calamine lotion!
Itchy, itchy, scratchy, scratchy, got one on my back-y, back-y,
Owie, owie, zowie, zowie wish he'd go away!
Quick, get the bug spray! I think he went that-a-way ...
Shhh ... shhh ... shhh ... shhh ... shhhhhhhhhhhhh ......
Got him! 

Finally, in Minnesota we don't seem to get too many fireflies during the summer (not hot enough?) but I do like this flannel, based on the book "Ten Flashing Fireflies" by Philemon Sturges.

What do we see on a summer night?
Five flashing fireflies burning bright!
Catch one twinkling like a star,
Now there is one firefly in our jar.

Catch another over by the tree
Now there are two fireflies in our jar.

Catch one hiding in the bush
Now there are three fireflies in our jar.

Catch one landing near our door
Now there are four fireflies in our jar

Catch  one flying high in the sky
Now there are five fireflies in our jar.

Open the jar, for it's much more fun
To watch them fly away one by one.
Fly up and out and say good-bye,
Fly away, fly away, firefly!
One ... two ... three ... four ... five ...
Now there are none.
(many thanks to my fabulous co-workers Tami and Janet for coming up with this flannel)

No comments:

Post a Comment